At Stokenchurch we aim to provide a rich Mathematics curriculum which teaches pupils how to make sense of the world around them, achieving this by developing their ability to calculate fluently, reason mathematically and solve problems. It enables children to understand relationships and patterns in both number and space in their everyday lives.
Our objectives in the teaching of mathematics are to:
- Develop an appreciation and fascination of Mathematics itself
- Promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion
- Ensure continuity and progression in Mathematics throughout the school
- Promote fluency, confidence and competence with numbers and the number system
- Develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts
- Develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented
- Explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts
- Help children understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life
- Provide rich opportunities for children to use and apply their mathematical skills across other subjects.